Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Distant Cliffs


Click Here to Bid (6x12in.)

This one has what I was really hoping to achieve in California - atmosphere! I find that it is MUCH easier to see AND paint this when you've got one (closer) layer directly in front of another (further away) layer. As was the case for this scene.

Another thing that made it easier to SEE the atmosphere, was to have a tear in one contact. Yep. It was so bad I had to throw it away. Luckily it was the one for my left eye, so my dominant eye was still clear. All I had to do was close my right eye to see everything fuzzy, which helped me see the whole scene and all the relationships at once. This is something I preach about in my workshops (squinting for the same effect), but somehow I get stupid when I'm outside.

Meanwhile, I didn't post Sunday night because my family took a little impromptu camping trip. If you're interested, you can read about it/see pictures on my new beginnings blog.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks amazing!!!

Darla McDowell said...

I'm loving your landscape paintings, Carol. Very beautiful and inspiring!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

you are kicking it with these paintings!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

this painting is so Nova Scotia and your handling of the scene is brilliant !